Are you wondering how to clean a bed mattress? A mattress is an essential aspect of your good night’s sleep, as stuff like dust, stains, and odors affect your sleep quality negatively. So, in order to get rid of this you need to follow a nine-step guide for cleaning your bed mattress thoroughly.
In this blog, you will learn about every step of mattress cleaning in greater detail. Like from gathering your cleaning products to preserving your mattress for years to come. Simultaneously, you’ll discover how to use all-natural products like baking soda and white vinegar to get rid of stains, eliminate odors, and even disinfect your mattress.
How To Clean A Bed Mattress: Nine Easy Steps
Below are the nine steps for a hassle-free cleaning of your bed mattress:
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies To Clean With Perfection
Before beginning to clean, ensure you have all the necessary cleaning supplies ready. Below are the things that you need in the process:
- Vacuum cleaner with upholstery attachment: This is for removing dust, dirt, and debris from the mattress surface.
- Baking soda: For neutralizing odors and freshening up your mattress.
- Liquid dish soap: This will help in removing stains and spots.
- White vinegar: it is excellent for disinfecting and deodorizing your mattress.
- Spray bottle: To apply the cleaning solution you’ll need the spray bottle.
- Clean, dry clothes or paper towels: These are helpful in blotting and cleaning.
- A scrub brush: this will help to rub and vanish stubborn stains.
- Launderable mattress cover and sheets: If you have one then wash these while you’re cleaning the mattress.
Step 2: Strip Your Bed
Your second move should be removing all the bedding. This includes sheets, pillows, and mattress protectors. This will allow you to access every part of the mattress surface for cleaning. Don’t skip this step as it is an important part of How to clean a mattress.
Step 3: Thoroughly Vacuum the Mattress
Now use the upholstery attachment on the vacuum cleaner and entirely vacuum the mattress. Simultaneously, pay special attention to seams, crevices, and any areas where dust and allergens may accumulate. Moreover, this step will help in removing dust mites, dirt, and loose debris from the mattress.
Step 4: Spot Clean Stains
This step includes addressing all the stains or spots on your mattress. Below I have talked about how you can do it properly:
- Create a Cleaning Solution: Mix a small amount of liquid dish soap with warm water to create a mild cleaning solution. Also, don’t use too much soap, as excessive moisture can damage the quality of the mattress.
- Dab, Don’t Rub: Dip a clean cloth or paper towel into the cleaning solution then gently dab the stained area. Again don’t rub as it will push the stain deeper into the mattress fabric.
- Blot Excess Moisture: After dealing with stains, use an absorbing material to blot up any excess moisture. Also, continue blotting until the whole area is almost dry.
- Repeat Process if Needed: For stubborn stains continue repeating the process. Remember to be patient and persistent, as it may take a few tries to completely remove the stain.
Check out: Best Mattress in India
Step 5: Deodorize Mattress with Baking Soda (Sodium bicarbonate)
Baking soda is a chemical compound used to remove odors and freshen up your mattress. Now follow these below tips:
- Sprinkle Baking Soda: Carefully sprinkle the baking soda evenly over the entire mattress surface evenly. If you want a pleasant fragrance add up a few drops of essential oil (such as lavender or tea tree oil) to the baking soda.
- Let It Sit: Allow the baking soda to sit on the mattress for at least 15-20 mins. If you have time, leave it as it is for a few hours or even overnight for better results. So, this will give the baking soda enough time to absorb odors.
- Vacuum Again: After this, use your vacuum cleaner with the upholstery attachment to vacuum up all the baking soda. Also, make sure to remove all traces of it from the mattress.
Step 6: Use White Vinegar to Disinfect
White vinegar is an excellent natural disinfectant and deodorizer. You can follow the below steps on your mattress:
- Mix a Cleaning Solution: In a spray bottle, combine equal parts white vinegar and water. This diluted solution is safe for use on your mattress.
- Spray the Mattress: Lightly mist the entire surface of the mattress with the vinegar and water solution. Kindly pay attention to areas that have odors or stains.
- Allow to Air Dry: Now let the mattress air dry completely. You can speed up the drying process by using a fan, or air dryer.
This is the last step of How to clean a mattress. The next three steps will teach you how to preserve the longevity and cleanliness of your bed mattress.
Step 7: Reassemble Your Bed Setting
Once your mattress is completely dry and odor-free then reassemble your bed by putting on clean sheets, and pillowcases.
Step 8: Protect Your Mattress
To keep your mattress cleaner for longer, consider using a mattress protector/guard. As might know, these products are specially designed to shield your mattress from spills, stains, and dust mites. Also, it will make future cleaning tasks less time-consuming and hectic.
Step 9: Do Regular Maintenance
To keep your mattress in the best condition possible, follow these ongoing maintenance tips:
- Rotate your mattress: Every few months, rotate your mattress to ensure even wear and tear.
- Use a mattress pad: It can add an extra layer of protection and comfort to your bed.
- Vacuum regularly: Vacuum your mattress every few weeks to prevent the buildup of dust and allergens.
- Address spills promptly: If you spill something on your mattress, clean it up asap to prevent stains from setting.
In conclusion, applying methods of how to clean a bed mattress is an essential part of maintaining a healthy and comfortable sleep environment for you. Moreover, regular cleaning not only removes dust and allergens but also helps extend the durability of your mattress. So, by following these steps and incorporating regular maintenance into your routine, you can enjoy a clean and refreshed mattress for years to come.
Thanks for reading this blog. I hope your mattress will get an amazing glow-up.